When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Alex Gross

It's not at all clear to me what these paintings are supposed to mean. They certainly look like symbolist allegories. But sometimes knowing the answers can ruin all the fun. I actually like to wonder and they do facilitate that. I'm also intrigued by how artists collect a vocabulary of images in their work. Mr. Gross has a particular obsession with burning/crashing aircraft and ice cream cones. Hmmm.
www.alexgross.com



















"The Last Judgment" 58x72" 2007























"Ice Cream Cone (despair)" 55x38" 2007






















"Departure" 28x28" 2001

1 comment:

  1. Well, the man in the first image is Frederick Douglas, right? And isn't that a coral snake at the feet of the "bride"? Goats are symbols of many things...interesting mix of iconography and composition. Thanks for this posting.

    ReplyDelete