When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Manfred Hennessy

He has an enormous body of work on his Flickr site, blending realism and folk-art in a way that reminds my American eye a little of Thomas Hart Benton. While he does figurative work as well, it is many of his landscapes that absolutely captivate me. You have to click on these images to view them as large as possible. Let your eye wander about as if you were actually there on foot. His obsession is clearly not just with the English countryside but with all the lore and mythology that accompany it.















"Coastal Town" size unknown
















"Coastal Town" detail


















"Summer Fair" 48x40"














"The Shed Under the Tor" 7x13"


And there's some extraordinary sketches in his journals posted as well.
















"Barnoldswick, Yorkshire" 10x8"

No comments:

Post a Comment