When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sarina Brewer

Sarina Brewer is an artist turned taxidermist who hates to see anything go to waste. In some strange way, she treasures all the lost and lonely body parts of her four-legged and feathered friends. So she finds ways to give them new life and new meaning. While it may border on simple side show freakdom (and I don't suppose she would reject the appeal of that entirely) it goes beyond that as well. I'll point out right here that no animal is killed for the purpose of her art. They come from salvaged roadkill, discarded livestock, destroyed nuisance animals, and victims of an often cruel pet trade. She saves everything that she can and transforms it all into these fascinating totems to biological mystery.
And I'd just like to quote her here: "I call it art. You can call it whatever you want."
See more at www.customcreaturetaxidermy.com















"Ebony Griffin"


















"North Woods Chimera"













"Feejee Mermaid"


















"Jersey Devil Remains Display"

















"Heart Fetish"

Thanks to accidental mysteries for first bringing her work to my attention

No comments:

Post a Comment