When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Laurie Lipton - update

Although originally from the U.S. Laurie Lipton has lived in Britain since 1986. At first I thought the dark satirical cynicism that pervades her work must owe something to British culture but she herself pointed out that the truth is simply that it was a perfect fit. Be that as it may, her vision is a singular one that she realizes with meticulous draftsmanship, building layer upon layer of tiny hatch marks like an egg tempera painting. “It’s an insane way to draw”, she says, “but the resulting detail and luminosity is worth the amount of effort. My drawings take longer to create than a painting of equal size and detail.” All of that however is subordinate to the content of her work, which is summed up fairly nicely in the first piece below. It is about the insanity of a supposedly rational age, and the nightmares of technology's broken promises. But it's an insane nightmare revealed with a wit as sharp as her pencils.

I first posted some of Laurie Lipton's work back in February. I recently received an email from her that she will be showing the following pieces plus many more in a few weeks. The rest of the pieces in the show can be viewed here. The show will be in Los Angeles at La Luz Jesus Gallery from November 5 throygh the 28th. So if you happen to be in the LA area during that time, as I wish I was, I recommend taking a look.

And make sure you click on the images below to view them much larger!









 "The Illusion-of-Control Tower"  Charcoal and graphite on paper, framed  59" x 21.75"






















 "Treatment"  Charcoal and graphite on paper, framed  25.5" x 29"



















"Info Glut" Charcoal and graphite on paper, framed  23" x 20"


















"Nut Cracker" Graphite on paper, framed  30.5" x 23"















"Recylcling" Charcoal and graphite on paper, framed  39.25" x 21.5"

No comments:

Post a Comment