When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, January 31, 2011

Mark Bennett

"Town of Mayberry"  24.25" x 36.25" lithograph

"Home of Fred and Wilma Flintstone" 24.25" x 36.25" lithograph

"Home of Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson"  32" x 48.25"  lithograph
"Home of Darrin and Samantha Stevens"  24.25" x 36.25" lithograph
I'm generally not a huge fan of conceptual art, but that's usually because the concepts behind them are often so dull. Now here's a concept that makes me think, damn, I wish I'd thought of that. But since I didn't, I'm glad someone else did. Mark Bennett is a loving consumer of popular culture, especially television and film. He carefully observes the environments of his favorite characters and maps out their lives in the form of traditionally rendered blueprints. Like others who grew up poring over Tolkien's maps of Middle Earth I developed a love of maps that correspond to realms of fiction and fantasy. I only wish he had a website of his own where I could browse through his complete body of work. My whole life I've wanted someone to see a map of Gilligan's Island. If he's done it already I've yet to find it.

Here's a couple galleries where you can look through more of his work:

1 comment:

  1. I love Mark Bennett! "The Effects of Fords on Barbara" are pretty fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete