When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New American Paintings - scooped!

I'm a fan of the publication "New American Paintings". Even if they've never stooped to including my own work. Sigh. Anyway, I think they do a fine job spotlighting some of the best artists making there way out there today. Selecting artists whose work you think is in some way significant is a pretty subjective affair as I myself have discovered trying to do this blog. The publishers of NAP hire outside judges to make the selections, so the nature of the work included can vary from issue to issue. I tend to prefer representational art to the non-sort and I have strong leanings toward narrative and craftsmanship rather than conceptualism (though not always as you'll see below) which is not exactly the trendy trend in the rarefied highfalutin fine art world. Nonetheless I usually find several artists in each new issue that I'm eager to add to this blog. Not long ago they published their 103rd issue. I found that there were FOUR artists included that I had ALREADY posted here on this blog. This was a first for me. I was ahead of the curve! I beat them to the punch. I scooped New American Paintings! I have to admit, that made me feel pretty chuffed. So before I post other new artists featured in the issue, here's some old favorites of mine who made it in to the magazine... issue 103.
Congratulations to:

Brooks Salzwedel  posted May 9, 2012
"East River Bridge"  graphite, tape and resin  24" x 36"  2012
"The Fourth"  mixed media  24" x 36"  2012


Robert Sato  posted on September 1, 2011 & September 13, 2012
"Island"  watercolor on arches paper  16" x 17"  2011
"Asleep at the Wheel"  watercolor on molachi paper  9" x 9"  2011

Aaron Smith  posted March 17, 2010
"Chippy" 28" x 28" oil on panel 2008

"Muck Snipe" 37" x 27.5" oil on panel 2009

Xiaoze Xie  posted January 23, 2012
"Chinese Library No. 43"  oil on canvas  42" x 80"  2010
title unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment